What is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a nerve disorder that can cause pain in many parts of the body. Along with pain, it can cause burning sensations, numbness, tingling, and even loss of movement or strength. This discomfort can be on the limbs, face, or the internal organs. This disorder can become very severe, and disrupt daily activities. I've seen many patients with neuropathy that has greatly diminished their quality of life. The bad news is that Western Medicine may not help. Patients can be given pain medications that are detrimental to their health. The good news is, Acupuncture, along with other Chinese Medical modalities; can help!
What causes Neuropathy?
- Diseases: people with these disorders become at a higher risk of developing neuropathy.
- Diabetes- weight gain, increased age, and high blood pressure can increase this chance of this resulting in neuropathy
- Thyroid Disorders- the issue here is the build-up of fluids and tension around the tissue and nerves
- Kidney Disorders- this can cause the build-up of toxins
- Vitamin Deficiencies- B Vitamins are essential to good nerve health
- Toxins: can damage the nerve and tissues in the area, cutting off blood, oxygen, and nutrient flow to the area.
- Chemical Exposure
- Alcohol or Drug Abuse
- Trauma/ Injury: damage that has been done physically
- Medications that treat infections
- Anti-Seizure medication
- Cancer treatments
How can Acupuncture help?
- Promotes proper circulation and blood flow
- Helps to repair the damaged nerves and tissues
What does the treatment consist of?
During the acupuncture session, needles are placed around the area of discomfort. With my treatments, I stay away from putting the needles directly in the area of pain, to avoid even more discomfort. The needles are placed on certain meridians or pathways which relate to the diseased area. They are also places in certain acupuncture points that stimulate proper circulation and blood flow.
Another method that I use during treatment is Moxibustion. Moxibustion is the process of burning an herb call Mugwort on the area of pain. This herb burns at an infrared light, which is a very powerful healing frequency. It's a painless treatment that works wonders.